Healthcare and insurance

NFZ is the public health insurance institution responsible for the management of public funds for healthcare. 

People working in Poland based on an employment contract are subjected to compulsory health insurance regardless of their nationality. The employer fulfils this obligation. The employer pays all resulting insurance payments. As an employee, you receive public healthcare automatically.  Health insurance contribution is subtracted from your salary each month. This system guarantees free access to NFZ medical services.

To book a  visit to a General Practitioner (GP/Family Doctor), you need to register at one of NFZ clinics, preferably near your residence. You should present your ID/passport and PESEL. If you need an appointment with a specialist, you must visit a GP to obtain a referral. The Hospitality Manager will assist you with the registration.

In Poland, an insured employee must report their family members to be covered by the health insurance under the employment contract, provided that the family member is not insured elsewhere. The family members; children, spouses, parents and grandparents on the condition that they share a household with the employee. To register your family members, you need to provide their data to your employer. If your employer changes, you have to report your family members to the new employer.

The National Medical Rescue System provides aid in the event of an emergency. To call an ambulance, dial 999, accessible throughout the country, or a general emergency number 112. You can also go directly to the emergency department (SOR) in the nearest hospital.

Besides obligatory NFZ health insurance, you may buy an additional package of private healthcare services. Numerous private insurance companies offer various customised insurance policies. The scope of the private services depends on the policy you buy and on the contract you sign.  More advanced services, e.g. more extensive dental healthcare package, maternity care and delivery, surgeries or hospitalisation, are of course more expensive.

Some of the private healthcare providers:|en)

If you plan to visit another EU country, you should apply for the European Health Insurance Card (EKUZ) which is free of charge and qualifies to free healthcare services abroad. 

It is advisable to get a card in advance. Here you will find out how to do it:

An application form for the European Health Insurance Card (EKUZ): ku/ekuz/nowe_po_tekst_jedn._581/2018/wniosek_ekuz_pobyt.pdf

More information on healthcare and  insurance, emergencies, medical services is available on:

List of points, where COVID-19 tests are taken:,438.html

State health care e-services:; phone connection with a consultant (also in English): 800 190 590

Information about available dental surgeries, including NFZ services: