PhD student scholarship - particle physics2022.11.29 16:12 - Anna Sawińska
The National Centre for Nuclear Research (NCBJ) invites applications for a doctoral scholarship in the project OPUS 2021/41/B/ST2/01369, ”A novel approach to the physics of vector boson scattering in the CMS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider”, founded by the National Science Centre (NCN).
Timescale of the project: 48 months.
The project will involve analysis of data collected by the CMS detector at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, between 2022-2025 (Run 3 of the LHC).
The successful candidate will collaborate with an international team of physicists studying the scattering processes of vector bosons W and Z. The main objective of the analysis will be search for signatures of physics beyond the Standard Model in the framework of effective field theories.
The successful candidate will also participate in service work related to the operation and maintenance of the CMS muon trigger as part of their duties within the Warsaw CMS group.
Conditions of employment:
The scholarship is PLN 4200 gross per month.
Foreseen are also regular visits to CERN, paid in accordance with standard per diem amounts for foreign travel.
Preselected candidates will be invited to an interview and an oral exam in physics at the college level in the Graduate School of Physics and Chemistry at the NCBJ.
The appoinment is expected to commence in February 2023.
- MSc degree in particle physics or a related field, obtained within the last 2 years,
- very good programming skills (LINUX, c++, knowledge of the ROOT package), good understanding of particle physics theory will be a bonus,
- fluency in spoken and written English,
- motivation to scientific research, good analytical skills, ability to work in a large international collaboration.
- completed application form, to be downloaded from https://gradschool.ncbj.gov.pl/requirements/,
- CV including a list of publications, fellowships, participation in conferences, schools, etc.,
- motivation letter with a statement of research interests,
- copy of college diploma,
- complete college transcripts,
- contact data to 1-2 referees.
Applications should be sent to the Graduate School of Physics and Chemistry, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please select physics topic number 2 in the application form. More details are available from the School’s page: https://gradschool.ncbj.gov.pl/.
Deadline for receiving applications: December 21, 2022